Volunteer Opportunities at Willow House
The foundation of Willow House is the enormously dedicated Willow House team of volunteers. In fact, Willow House peer support group services would truly not be possible without our dedicated volunteers. Volunteers can help further the mission of Willow House in a variety of ways:
- Peer Support Group Volunteer Facilitators & Assistants
- Group Facilitators for Survivors of Suicide Loss group
- Program Events, including the Annual Holiday Remembrance Gathering
- Please scroll below to learn more about the volunteer facilitator program.
- Walk and 5K to Remember
- Annual Spring Fundraiser
- Third Party Fundraisers & New Events
- Office Volunteers – Data Entry, Mailing, Copying, etc.
- Professional Services – Website, Financial, Marketing, Strategic Planning, Fundraising, Human Resources
- Clerical for Joie’s Branch, our lending library
- Speakers Bureau
A Look at Willow House Volunteer Facilitators
Peer Support Group Volunteer Facilitators
Willow House’s core service is the Peer Support Group Program for children, teens and families who are grieving the death of a loved one. Volunteer Facilitators work in teams with children, teen or adult groups. These groups meet once a month and are organized by age, serving adults, as well as children and teens from 3 to 18 years old.
All Willow House volunteer facilitators are required to complete a 17 hour training program. This comprehensive training:
- Provides an experiential and instructive guiding framework for understanding grief & loss.
- Reviews educational information and research regarding children and grief.
- Provides instruction on how to be an effective peer support group facilitator.
- The training program is generally offered one time a year.
More information about the next training will be provided to candidates who submit a volunteer application and indicate that they are interested in becoming a Volunteer Facilitator. Facilitators are also expected to attend additional in-services as presented.
Volunteers who want to serve in this capacity are asked to make a commitment to volunteer one evening (4 hours) per month with their assigned groups for a minimum of one year.